NBN™ terms, fees & guarantees
All Westnet services are bound by our Customer Relationship Agreement. This page offers a quick summary of the terms, fees and guarantees that come with your service. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us on 13 19 60.
- Our activation fee of $79.95 applies to standard NBN™ service connections unless otherwise specified. Non-standard or additional installations may incur charges payable by you - NBN™ (or Westnet where applicable) will advise you of any applicable charges.
- When you sign up for a 24-month contract;
- your activation fee is waived – saving $79.95 ($99.95 for NBN™ Satellite).
- you can elect to receive a new WiFi modem for $0. A $10 delivery fee applies.
- Both uploads and downloads count towards your monthly quota.
- If you have a monthly data quota and you exceed it, your download and upload speeds are shaped to 256/256kbps for the remainder of your billing month.
- You may switch between our NBN™ plans at any time without incurring contract break fees. A plan change fee applies when switching to a plan of equal or lesser value.
- As of 1st April 2016, nbn™ introduced a connection charge of $300 for each new connection order within a New Development Location. If you are connecting within a development area you may be liable for this charge. More information on these charges can be found here.
- Once the NBN™ roll out has been completed in your area, services over the legacy copper & HFC (Cable) network will no longer be available at your premises and any copper & HFC (Cable) services that are still connected at your premises on the Disconnection Date are liable to be disconnected. Westnet Cable services in Geelong, Mildura and Ballarat are not subject to this disconnection.
- The installation of NBN™ FTTN or FTTB may disconnect the current copper-line telecommunications service that is connected to your premises.
- Please be aware any existing ancillary services and devices that rely on your copper-line telecommunications service will no longer work unless you move them to the NBN™ (such as medical alarms, back-to-base alarms, personal response systems, fax machines and EFTPOS). Please check with your device/service manufacturer or provider to see if the device is NBN™ compatible.
- Customer equipment (such as new or existing cabling and telecommunications outlets) beyond the network boundary point may not work when you connect to NBN™. You may require a registered cabler to connect these to your NBN™ service. You will be responsible for the cost of any such cabling work.
- Where your NBN™ service includes a battery backup;
- A fully charged battery in perfect condition may last up to 11 hours. If the battery is not fully charged, kept in sub-standard conditions or is aged, it may last for less than three hours.
- If your telephone requires mains power to function, then it will remain inoperable in a power outage, even if you have a battery backup unit.
- It is your responsibility to check and maintain the batteries. Instructions are available here.
- Netphone is a VoIP service included with every NBN™ and NBN™ Wireless plan. To use it, you will require a phone handset and VoIP-compatible modem.
- For calls on Netphone and Fibre Phone;
- Timed international calls are charged per second.
- Calls to Australian mobile numbers are charged per 30 second block.
- Included calls are subject to our Acceptable Use Policy.
- Depending on the type of NBN™ broadband and Netphone available in your area you may require an Westnet-provided modem.
- Features on Netphone may vary. Learn more about phone services on the nbn™ network.
- NBN™ Fibre Phone plans must be paired with an active Westnet NBN™ Fibre (FTTP) service. If your NBN™ plan is cancelled, your Fibre Phone service will also be cancelled.
This is our once-off activation fee to get you connected.*
No lock-in contract
$79.95 ($99.95 for NBN™ Satellite)
24 month contract
Fees may be incurred for non-standard or additional NBN™ installations.
|As defined by NBN™ (or Westnet where applicable)|
New Development Fee|
As of 1st April 2016, NBN™ introduced a connection charge of $300 for each new connection order within a New Development Location. If you are connecting within a development area you may be liable for this charge. More information on these charges can be found here.
If you need more email addresses than what you get with your plan, you can purchase an additional mailbox. They are charged per year and are covered by our own anti-spam and anti-virus protection.
|Plan change fees|
Plan change fee
A plan change fee applies when you switch to an NBN™ plan of equal or lesser value. (We'll cover this fee if you are switching to a higher plan.)
All about your quota
Both uploads and downloads count towards your monthly quota.
All Westnet NBN™ plans come with anytime quota.
If you exceed your monthly NBN™ quota you will not be charged excess fees. Instead your NBN™ plan will be shaped to the speeds shown below.
|NBN plan||Shaped speed|
|NBN 250 Basic||256/256 kbps|
|NBN Satellite||128/128 kbps|
NBN™ plans are available on both no lock-in contract and 24 month contract options. When you take an NBN™ plan on a 24 month contract, we'll waive your activation fee ($79.95 discount).
If you end your contract early, the below break fess apply. These fees cover the costs reasonably incurred by Westnet when the contract commenced.
|All NBN™ Contract Break Fees||0-6 months||7-12 months||13-18 months||19-24 months|
|NBN 24 month contracts||$300||$225||$150||$100|
|No lock-in contract||$0||$0||$0||$0|
Fair contract guarantee
When you sign up to a contract, you commit to retain your NBN™ service for the set period.