NBN™ terms, fees & guarantees
All Westnet services are bound by our Customer Relationship Agreement. This page offers a quick summary of the terms, fees and guarantees that come with your service. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us on 13 19 60.
Connecting to the NBN™
- Once the NBN™ roll out has been completed in your area, services over the legacy copper & HFC (Cable) network will no longer be available at your premises. Any copper & HFC (Cable) services that are still connected at your premises on the Disconnection Date are liable to be disconnected. Westnet Cable services in Geelong, Mildura and Ballarat are not subject to this disconnection.
- The installation of NBN™ FTTN or FTTB may disconnect the current copper-line telecommunications service that is connected to your premises.
- Existing ancillary services and devices that rely on your copper-line telecommunications service will no longer work unless you move them to the NBN™ (such as medical alarms, back-to-base alarms, personal response systems, fax machines and EFTPOS). Please check with your device/service manufacturer or provider to see if the device is NBN™ compatible.
- Customer equipment (such as new or existing cabling and telecommunications outlets) beyond the network boundary point may not work when you connect to NBN™. You may require a registered cabler to connect these to your NBN™ service. You will be responsible for the cost of any such cabling work.
- Your NBN™ service does not include a battery backup. This means your household will be unable to access any internet and telephony services provided by nbn™ during a power outage. This includes making calls to emergency service numbers like 000. Please ensure you have alternate ways of making calls, such as mobile phone.
- NBN™ Phone is a phone service that is offered with your NBN™ and NBN™ Wireless plan. To use it, you will require a standard phone handset (approved for use in Australia) and VoIP-compatible modem.
- NBN™ Fibre (FTTP) may include Fibre Phone instead of Netphone, which does not require a VoIP-compatible modem to operate.
- NBN™ Satellite does not include access to NBN™ Phone.
- Calls to 000 emergency services are not guaranteed in the event of a power outage.
- Priority Assistance services are not available from Westnet.
- Calls to 19/1900 numbers are not available.
- Calls to certain 'high-risk' international destinations are not available by default.
- You are required to waive your rights under the Customer Service Guarantee.
- For calls on NBN™ Phone;
- Timed international calls are charged per second.
- Calls to Australian mobile numbers are charged per 30 second block.
- Included calls are subject to our Acceptable Use Policy.
- NBN™ Phone must be paired with an active Westnet NBN™ service. If your NBN™ plan is cancelled, your NBN™ Phone service will also be cancelled.
- Transferring an existing phone number to NBN™ Phone will disconnect the existing phone service.
- NBN™ Satellite and Wireless customers may purchase Home Phone which has different terms and features. Learn more about Home Phone.
Learn more about NBN™ Phone services.
- There are multiple types of broadband and phone on the NBN™, with different hardware setups and requirements. Learn more.
- A 24 month contract gives you access to a new $0 NBN™ WiFi modem. A $10 delivery fee applies.
- You may be required to purchase an Westnet-provided modem to be supplied with an Westnet NBN™ service. This requirement is confirmed in your signup cart.
All about your quota
- Both uploads and downloads count towards your monthly quota.
- If you exceed your monthly NBN™ quota you will not be charged excess fees. Instead your NBN™ plan will be shaped to the speeds shown below. Unlimited plans do not have a quota limit.
|NBN plan||Shaped speed|
|NBN 500 Basic and NBN Seniors Card||256/256 kbps|
|NBN Satellite||128/128 kbps|
*Any cabling that is required in your premises beyond the Network Boundary Point is your responsibility. This does not include the purchase of a modem. There may be additional installation fees for non-standard premises, however your agreement to these fees will be confirmed prior to Westnet setup.
- You may purchase a Data Pack to unshape your NBN™ service. NBN™ Satellite does not include access to Data Packs.
- NBN™ Satellite services (delivered by Sky Muster™) are subject to the NBN™ Fair Use Policy to help ensure fair access for all users on NBN Satellite. Information on the Policy and how to manage your quota are available here
| Standard activation
This is our once-off activation fee to get you connected.*
| No lock-in contract
$79.95 ($99.95 for NBN™ Satellite)
| 24 month contract
| NBN™ WiFi Modem
A customer built modem that supports your NBN™ and NBN™ Phone service.
Modem purchase may be required and (if required) is confirmed in your signup cart.
| No lock-in contract
| 24 month contract
| NBN™ WiFi Modem Delivery
This is our delivery fee to provide you with your NBN™ WiFi Modem (if purchased).
| Non-Standard setup
Fees may be incurred for non-standard or additional NBN™ installations.
|As defined by NBN™ (or Westnet where applicable)|
| New Development Charge
As of 1st April 2016, NBN™ introduced a connection charge of $300 for each new connection order within a New Development Location. If you are connecting within a development area you may be liable for this charge. More information on these charges can be found here.
* Any cabling that is required in your premises beyond the Network Boundary Point is your responsibility. This does not include the purchase of a modem. There may be additional installation fees for non-standard premises, however your agreement to these fees will be confirmed prior to Westnet setup.
| Additional mailboxes
If you need more email addresses than what you get with your plan, you can purchase an additional mailbox. They are charged per year and are covered by our own anti-spam and anti-virus protection.
|Plan change fees|
| Plan change fee
A plan change fee applies when you switch to an NBN™ plan of lesser value. (We'll cover this fee if you are switching to a higher plan.)
NBN™ plans are available on both no lock-in contract and 24 month contract options. If you end your contract early, the below break fess apply. These fees cover the costs reasonably incurred by Westnet when the contract commenced.
|All NBN™ Contract Break Fees||0-6 months||7-12 months||13-18 months||19-24 months|
|NBN 24 month contracts||$300||$225||$150||$100|
|No lock-in contract||$0||$0||$0||$0|
Fair contract guarantee
When you sign up to a contract, you commit to retain your NBN™ service for the set period.
However, our fair contract guarantee lets you change between plans at any time without the need to break your agreed contract. A plan change fee will apply if you switch to a plan of lesser value.