This article will answer some general questions about Naked DSL, a type of internet service sold by Westnet.
If you have any issues with your Naked DSL service, please check out our troubleshooting guides on MyHelp.
Select one of the links below to jump to a query:
- What is Naked DSL?
- What is VoIP?
- What are the requirements for Naked DSL?
- How do I sign up for Naked DSL?
- How long does it take to connect Naked DSL?
- How much does setup cost?
- If I need a technician visit to install a new phone line, which appointments are available?
- Do I need to notify my current landline phone provider about switching to Naked DSL?
- I recently cancelled my phone service; do I need to reconnect it before I apply for Naked DSL?
- Are there any services that won’t work when I have Naked DSL?
- Can I keep my current landline number for VoIP when I move to Naked DSL?
- Which phone features are available with VoIP?
- I already have Naked DSL, how do I upgrade to one of the newer plans?
What is Naked DSL?
Naked DSL is an internet service that isn’t tied to a landline phone service, meaning you’re free from paying monthly phone line rental! It still connects using the copper phone line, but instead of a traditional landline phone, Naked DSL includes a Netphone (VoIP) service.
What is VoIP?
It’s a phone service that works over your internet connection. Instead of plugging a phone handset into the wall, you’ll plug it into a VoIP-enabled modem to enjoy some serious savings on your call rates!
What are the requirements for Naked DSL?
- Your physical phone line must be owned by Telstra, or a Telstra reseller.*
- Your address must be in a Naked DSL area. You can check this on the Westnet website.
- An ADSL2+ compatible, VoIP-enabled modem. Any Westnet modem will work like a charm with Naked DSL and VoIP.
- You must agree to waive your rights under the CSG for the VoIP service. All of our Naked plans are bundled with Netphone (VoIP) so this is a requirement for all Naked DSL services.
*If no line is present at your address, one may be installed for an additional fee. We cannot guarantee that this line will support Naked DSL and if it does not, you will still be liable for the cost of the phone line installation.
How do I sign up for Naked DSL?
You can sign up through our website or give our friendly Sales Team a call on 13 19 60. You’ll need to have your credit card or debit details handy to complete your signup.
How long does it take to connect Naked DSL?
|Naked DSL connection*||10-20 working days|
*Have you moved in recently? Please note that if a previous tenant/owner has left an active phone service at your new address, we may not legally proceed with your connection until that active service has been cancelled or relocated, or you have supplied us with Proof of Occupancy documents showing your name and the new address (e.g. the front page of your lease agreement or settlement papers). Learn more.
How much does setup cost?
|Naked DSL setup||$99.95||For all Naked connections. Not applicable for relocation of existing services on grandfathered plans.|
|New phone line installation||$99.00||Additional cost only if a technician must visit your property to install a new phone line|
There may be setup fee or hardware discounts available if you choose to go on a contract; you’ll see these options if you’re signing up online or a customer service rep can confirm if you’re applying over the phone.
If I need a technician visit to install a new phone line, which appointments are available?
Technician appointments are available within the following 4-hour blocks on business days:
- Morning (8AM - 12PM)
- Midday (10AM – 2PM)
- Afternoon (1PM - 5PM)
Someone over the age of 18 must be present during your appointment to allow the technician to gain access to your premises.
Do I need to notify my current landline phone provider about switching to Naked DSL?
I recently cancelled my phone service; do I need to reconnect it before I apply for Naked DSL?
Nope, you don't need to reconnect your phone service. We can submit a Naked DSL application for an inactive phone line.
Are there any services that won’t work when I have Naked DSL?
Yes. Any service that relies on a landline phone service with a dial tone will no longer work when you have Naked DSL. This includes:
- Priority Assistance phone services
- Fax machines
- EFTPOS or vending machines
- Back-to-base VPN
- Monitored security alarms
- Dial-up security cameras
Digital Pay TV (excluding Fetch) might also be affected if you switch to Naked DSL – please consult your Pay TV provider to find out if Naked DSL will support your TV services.
Can I keep my current landline number for VoIP when I move to Naked DSL?
If your landline phone number is provided by Westnet or our wholesaler, we may be able to convert your number into a VoIP number. We can check this for you when you sign up – just give our Sales team on 13 19 60.
Which phone features are available with VoIP?
- Call waiting
- Voice messaging to email
- Call forwarding
- Do not disturb
- Caller line ID delivery blocking
- Call return
- Three-way chat
I already have Naked DSL, how do I upgrade to one of the newer plans?
If you have one of our grandfathered Naked DSL plans sold prior to 17 September 2015, you may not find the option to upgrade your Naked plan in MyAccount. Please give our friendly Sales Team a call on 13 19 60, and we'll be happy to help.